Sunday, January 14, 2007

Gold Nuggets

Found this one while browsing a friend's library this weekend-- thanks Wade!!!


From the chapter titled "Swords and Scabbards" in the book "The Power of Truth" by William George Jordan:

"The man who does not dare follow his own convictions, but who lives in terror of what society will say, falling prostrate before the golden calf of public opinion, is living an empty life of mere show. He is sacrificing his individuality, his divine right to live his life in harmony of his own high ideals, to a cowardly, toadying fear of the world. He is not a voice, with the strong note of individual purpose; he is but the thin echo of the voice of thousands. He is not brightening, sharpening and using the sword of his life in true warfare; he is lazily ornamenting a useless scabbard with the hieroglyphics of his folly.

Life is not a competition with others. In it's truest sense it is rivarly with ourselves. we should each day seek to break the record of our yesterday. We should seek each day to live stronger, better, truer lives; each day to master some weakness of yesterday; each day to repair past follies; each day to surpass ourselves. "

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey Becca,

I need a favor. Can I use you as a reference for a volunteer position I am applying for? If so please email me a phone number to my email address cowbeverly@gmail.com

I would really appreciate it!

I hope all is going well! You need to post more pictures on your blog!

Jennifer

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

More pictures, more pictures! I'm in absolute accord! Maybe you can scan some of your artwork and blog it! :)

I like the quote! Call me and tell me how your yesterday turned out! Did you finish your Spare Oom? (Lion Witch and the Wardrobe "Room" spelling)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis