Sunday, February 05, 2006

Duncan Sheik

I'm on a high, I'm on a high
there's nothing more to it.
We are the sea and the sky
and the blue that runs through it, yeah.

and there are some who say there are so many things I need
so I run or I fight and I crawl or I scream and I bleed, I bleed, I bleed

well, it's a lie it's a lie - don't you believe it.
if you're fine then you're fine - it's all how you see it.
oh, there never will be no conspiracy of happiness.



Words to my current favorite song. :)

Good friends got tickets to Duncan's performance in Park City, Utah. He sang at a club called Suede. It's not exactly the atmosphere you would usually find me or my ski friend in, but we were well taken care of with a sprite in one hand and GREAT ventilation above our heads to suck up the smoke. Duncan didn't take the stage until nearly 10 pm and then played for a couple hours.

My fascination was in the comparison of his performance with the two acts previous to him. The first was a solo accoustic act who was actually pretty good. He was a bit edgy and had great stage presence, but less experienced with performing for a crowd. The second act was a band that was great at imitating the stuff you hear on the radio, but they weren't very original, nor could you understand their lyrics very well.

Enter Duncan-- Dark, handsome, (despite the thick beard) and armed with six guitars. He opened his mouth and beautiful, clear words emerged using every vocal technique I've seen. Added to the beauty of his form is the beauty of the meaning behind the words. It was stunning and I was riveted.

Here's some links to the lyrics of some of Duncan's other songs I've come to appreciate. Enjoy!

Genius
Someone you need (with Howard Jones)
Barely Breathing
For You
Home

4 comments:

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Veerrrrry interesting. I haven't heard of this guy... Is he a Utah local? Has he tried out for... um, what's it called... *thinking* American Idol? :D

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Happy Thursday! Is your house sold yet? Did you start packing yet? I know that chicks are very appealing, but I should be more careful about encouraging you to behalf as if they had already hatched. :)

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Happy day, all is well. How's YOUR day going? :D

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

I don't remember what the song was, but I heard Duncan Sheik on the radio today... :) Ta da!

And! I got an e-mail from my Aunt Susan and she wanted to know when she could babysit so we could go to dinner or something by ourselves? :D Hurray! Let's re-look at the calendar. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis