Monday, January 16, 2006

Graduation

I'm on the homestretch for graduation from my Masters program at Utah State University. The last sememster went into full swing last Wednesday. I have one class and a project to complete.




It's been interesting to see my reactions to this particular class. The whole program is done using distance mediums. The program originates out of Logan, Utah, which is a 2 hour drive for me. Only 5-6 students even live in close proximity to Logan, so the courses are taught using EDNET or on the Internet. Most of our EDNET courses had the instructor in Logan, and I was at a recieve site, which meant if I had a question or comment, I had to make my instructor aware of my presence and comment using a microphone. This semester I have the pleasure of being at the "live" site and being able to respond to my instructor without the use of a microphone. I only have to use it if I want the rest of my classmates to hear what I'm saying.

Through the whole program, I've been strong and stubborn to say that i'm learning as well and am equally engaged in my coursework without the direct influence of a teacher. While this might be true, I can say that my motivation is increased when I have a live body who is concerned for my progress and understanding.

My next question, that needs to be answered rather quickly, is what to do for my final project. My boss suggested that Distance Education at Salt Lake Community College are in dire need of a student orientation piece of some sort. We might produce a CD or DVD. We might create it as a course in WebCT. We might do a live orientation that we take on the road. There are many options. It's kind of a big project though, so my dilemma is whether I want to do something that large. Time will make the decision for me if I don't make my own decision soon.

Goodness, blogging is a huge relief.. I can think of a million other topics I'd like to write about, but I will save it for another day...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis