Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Beach Bug


Does everyone have one of these? It seems when life gets even the slightest bit monotonous and the weather outside just a little bit cold, that little bug comes to invite me to the beach.

Now, this would seem normal for someone who had lived by the beach and was well acquainted with it's allure. I've heard of this phenomoenon for those who have grown up in our beautiful Salt Lake Valley and moved away. They have the mountain bug.

Alas, I have never lived in close proximity to the beach. I have memories of visiting Santa Cruz, just long enough to get our feet wet and then covered with sand. That was the point that we were beckoned back to the van so that our feet could be lashed with a towel to remove the sticky sand so it wouldn't deposit itself in the vehicle.

It was only in the last few years that I've discovered how easy it is to appease the beach bug. A mere 10 hour drive will find me on Laguna Beach, listening to the rush of the surf on the sand and taking pictures of my toes in the water as evidence of the persistence of the Beach Bug, reguardless of the weather. February isn't exactly the time people expect to see a few bathing beauties frolicking in the waves.

A short 3 hour flight will find me on Coronado Beach, hunting for seashells, or in Oceanside jogging on the wide expanse of the promenade. All in response to the beach bug who knew that work was going kill me if I didn't escape soon for some rest and relaxation.

The most aggressive Beach Bug of all took me all the way to the other side of the world to wade at Bondi Beach in the moonlight-- in the middle of June. Unthinkable to most who reside near those shores.

I suppose I'll have to appease my most current bug with pictures and memories until the stars align to make a mad dash to the shore.

2 comments:

Wade Hone said...

I get that bug too sometimes! I feel your pain. My bug seems to want me to hit the oregon coast though.

Loved your post! keep em comin.

-Wade.

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Well, lucky for you we HAVE an ID here! We've had one for some time because I had a weather link that I used to go to and we wanted to comment on that one... so convenient! :D

I'm so dang tired.. How WAS SCHOOL this week? I talked to you Wednesday and it sounded *okay* especially since it's the last class... Mmmm...

I meant to do some cleaning before I went to bed but ended up not doing a blasted thing... well, I read e-mail and your blog and updated my blog and read friends' blogs... so I got something done, but I still have laundry and Scooter's toys scattered around the living room *sigh* I'm going to bed. :D

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis