Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Why do you count the days?

From my youngest memories, we counted the days 'til school started, the days until we went on vacation, the days we were traveling on vacation, the days 'til Christmas, and the days 'til the grass would grow green again.

I guess that's why it's such a strong motivator. I counted the days to my first bike ride following my knee surgery-- an boy, did that pay off! It not only gave me a reward for staying on track with my physical therapy, but it got me back on track with daily visits to the gym. I've found a little more vim and vigor in my life as a result of those days.

The bike ride was splendid. My friend Nate came with me, a great treat, as other relationships have taken up much of his time of late. I loaded a couple of bikes on the back of my little red jetta and we went to the Jordan River Parkway-- a charming little running/walking/biking path that follows the length of the Jordan River, nearly connecting the Great Salt Lake with Utah Lake in the neighboring county.

The weather was beautiful, not too hot, not too cool. We started at the parking lot at 9800 south and rode to a part at approximately 11400 south-- i'm guessing a distance of about 2 miles one way. There's a spectacular new fitness center in this park area so, wise friend that he is, Nate suggested that I should rest my knee and we took a brief tour of the new facilities. The cute membership rep was pretty peppy until she learned that we were just curious and wanted to see the biggest fitness center in the state of Utah. Then her energy level dropped to almost non existent. :)

I had no pain or discomfort the whole day. It was wonderful to be physical again and enjoy it. :) I'm looking forward to many more days of bike riding after work or on the weekends. If anyone is interested, you are more than welcome to join me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh!!! Can I come along????? And GOOD FOR NATE for slowing you down a little. :)

More painting tonight? I'm curious to know how your evening went. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis